Tuesday, March 23, 2010

One step back, but two steps forward

Hey everyone,

Well, by now most of you who have been following my path may have heard about my set back. For those who arent aware, I sustained a foot injury last month while working out for the Seahawks before I got signed. I recently moved up to the Seattle area to begin the off season program with the team. I was evaluated by team trainers and doctors and was not cleared to perform in the off season program due to not being healed of the injury. I was put on injury waivers and sent home for rehabilitation. The news was devestating to me as my entire world seemed to crash in an instant. The news was also very tough on my family and friends. Before I left I met with the GM, player personel, and my position coaches. All had positive things to say to me and all mentioned the possibility of coming back.

Within a 48 hour time period, I had drove up to Washington from California, moved into my apartment, moved out of my apartment, and drove back to California. It was like a bad dream and I was in shock by what had just happened. The only thing that I could do was to think positively and go get healthy.

The Seahawks referred me to Dr. Warren King. Dr. King is the head doctor for the Oakland Raiders and is considered one of the best in the game. I met with him on March 18 for an evaluation. To my suprise I was given some very positive feedback and light had been shed on my darkness. Dr. King suggested no surgery was necessary and that the healing process was going real well. Just a few days before I was under the impression that I needed surgery and that the time frame of me being out would be somewhere between 2-4 months. The new timeframe had been narrowed to 3-4 weeks. Keep in mind the injury occured 5 weeks before I saw Dr. King, so I was close to being healed. I will meet with Dr. King again on April 1st for further evaltuations and hope to get even more great news.

I have also been working close with Dr. Todd Frigard, who is from a well known Chiropractic family. I was referred to him because of some treatment options he had available. I met with Dr. Frigard the day after I met with Dr. King and once again recieved great news about my foot. We discussed some possible treatment plans that may aid in my rehabilitation. For the next two weeks I will be going through cold laser and ultra sound therapy. These techniques have been proven to aid in the recovery of injuries. So far ive responded well and have continued to feel results.

When you feel that you have hit the bottom, the only thing that you can do is go up! This has been very tough on me, but I know everything will workout and that I will be back! God's tests only make us stronger and this could have very well been a blessing in disguise. I want to thank all of my Family and Friends for their support and encouragement throughout this process. Everyone who has sent words of encouragement THANK YOU! It means a lot. This experience is very humbling and it shows you how quickly something you've worked so hard for can be stripped from you in an instant.

Stay Positive, Patient, Persevere, Practice hard, and Prepare yourself for opportunities!!! GODbless. I will keep you all updated!

Matt Overton

No comments:

Post a Comment